Sunday, October 05, 2008

Pentax K10D, superb at high ISO


When almost everybody is hurrying up to get the latest zillionmegapixel bogomips latest camera, I feel mine are plenty of capabilities and not feeling the need to change.
I keep the Canon 350D because the amount of adaptors for the nice Manual Focusing lenses. I got not long ago a second digital SLR body, a Pentax K10D that is still surpassing me.
Yesterday I went accidentally to the first basketball match of my son. This year all the team players are 18 or over, and this means age majority in Spain, (they can vote, drive cars and go to jail). So my responsibility as a supporter has (teorically) ended.
My son called me yesterday from the place they meet before leaving to outside matches, near to their training pavilion. They had not enough cars to move the team, so he requested my help "this time only". Since it was a little late to get to the match in time, I just picked the camera bag without caring which lens was in. (At the end it was the Pentax DA 16-45, not a fast lens...).
After one hour driving to an small village in the nearby of Manresa, we got really in the neck of the time, just a few minutes later and the match would not have been performed.
So I patiently sat without any hope of taking pictures. The place was dark as a wolf's mouth. After my experiences past year with the Canon 350D I didn't have much expectations, because the high ISOs.
I got really surprised when I came back home and saw the results. I didn't take too many pictures, just some samples, but the difference in noise at ISO 1600 against the Canon is huge.
Just as a sample, (not trying to show any artistic capability on the picture). It was shot at f/4.0 and ISO 1600. The lens wide open and the maximum ISO level. The stabilizer on, to try to help. The light meter was giving me measures that allowed for speeds between 1/180 and 1/350, that could be enough for the purpose.
Here you have an unretouched sample, just converted from RAW to JPG by Picassa (I know, I have to move to Lightroom :) ).

This seems promising to me. Next match I'll be ready with a faster lens, the 135mm Tammy that is 2.5...

And I have a camera for many years... :)

Jes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home